Sable Sands Lodge, situated on the magical Dete Vlei just outside Hwange National Park Main Camp, is the perfect safari getaway within a close range of Victoria Falls at only 180 km away on the main road to Bulawayo. The vlei (pronounced “flay”) is a dried up river with multiple waterholes of which a 7 km stretch forms part of the Sable Sands concession. Private game viewing is permitted in this region with game roaming freely between the concession and the Hwange National Park.
From within the shady tree line, the thatched structure of the main lodge overlooks the beautiful vlei and waterhole where the patient observer is rewarded by sightings of large herds of elephant, buffalo, zebra and various antelope species. The area is also frequented by lion, cheetah and occasionally leopard, hyena, wild dog and other predators. A wealth of birdlife will keep bird watchers occupied with over 400 species recorded here.
With warm hospitality, comfortable surroundings and fantastic game viewing, Sable Sands is a delight!
Sable Sands Lodge offers eleven lodge chalets, or ‘rondavels’ which are spread out around the lodge’s central swimming pool. Rooms can be easily arranged as twin, double or family rooms, all with small, private terrace areas. En-suite bathrooms are equipped with showers, hand basins, toilets, towels and luxurious bathroom amenities. Large mosquito nets and solar lights at night are also available.
- Indoor Public Dining Area, Lounge and Bar with Library and Loft
- Outdoor Terrace with Fire Pits & BBQ with relaxing Seating Under the Trees
- Mineral Water and Clean Water from Private Water Source on Property
- Hammocks Under the Tree
- Safari Trips to Hwange National Park
- Visits to Rural Homes, School and Clinic in Mabale Village
- Visits to the Painted Dog Conservation Centre
- Game Drives on Private Property